This is a full-time, one-year training programme, structured around the school year. You will be based in our schools and be regarded as a member of the team from the start.
At the start of autumn term, you will be assigned to a KS1 class within one of our schools. For the first few weeks you will spend your time working with small group work of children or team teaching leading onto teaching whole lessons.
Alongside your time on placement you will follow a structured programme of pedagogical and subject knowledge training with both WCPSD training and Liverpool Hope University. This allows you to apply and develop your new-found knowledge and skills immediately in the classroom environment. During the later part of the autumn term you will undertake your first assessed teaching practice.
The spring and summer terms follow a similar pattern, with weekly training input from WCPSD/ Liverpool Hope University followed by an assessed teaching practice.
You will move to a second school within the partnership for the spring term within a KS2 setting and, depending upon your training needs and preferences, will either return to your original school or move to a third school for the summer term.
You will experience both KS1 and KS2. Your academic study with Liverpool Hope University is spread over the year, commencing with an initial induction day in September.
WCPSD Training Sessions
(Updated as training is confirmed)
* NSPCC? E-Safety training - certificate awarded
* Wigan Safeguarding Childrens Board- Level 1 safeguarding qualifictaion- certificate awarded.
* Anna Lucas Phonics phase 1-4
*Anna Lucas Phonics phase 5
* Anna Lucas Spelling and Grammar KS1 & KS2
* Alan Peat- Writing and writing styles
* Emas EAL- Meeting the needs of the EAL pupils in a school setting
* Emas - Assessing and monitoring progress of EAL pupils using NASSEA steps
*Miss Tracey - SEND
* Miss Tracey - Complex learning needs
* Mrs Mailey - EYFS
* Mrs Mailey - Assessment of EYFS
* Shehnaz Vorajee - New Science curriculum
* Mrs Rowlands and Mr Edwardson - Practical computer programming
* Mrs Rowlands and Mr Edwardson - Internet and Networks
* Mrs Rowlands and Mr Edwardson - Computing across the curriculum
* Sarah Martin - Maths - Exploring what is the most effective way to teach Math
* Sarah Martin - Maths - Exploration and progression of place value, EYFS-Y6
* Sarah Martin - Maths - Progression from mental?to written calculations.? Exploration of BAR method
* Reciprocal Reading with Joy Simpson, Babcock International - The four key skills and what it is all about
* RE with Pat Peel from the Liverpool Archdiocese - Planning and differentiation of RE, Collective Worship and Working Walls, Selecting, Exploring and Unpicking Scripture and Assessment & Marking of RE
* CCRS sessions with Pat Peel from the Liverpool Archdiocese
* PE with the Y.S.T - Start to Move session and Sainsbury's Active Kids 4 All Inclusive PE
* PE with Paul Ogilvie - Session designed to teach PE to KS2 pupils
* Mr McConnell - Design Technology and Risk Assessment
* Mr McConnell - History
* David wall - Music
* Mrs Taberner (HT St Benedicts) - Applications and interview techniques
* Lucy Pike - Art
* Mental Health First Aid
* Tim Milner - Behaviour Management